Things to do when your outside drain is clogged with mud

3 minutes, 14 seconds Read

Do you have a stormwater drain in the backyard? Then, read this article.

Clay is commonly used for older sewer drains. PVC piping, used in the construction of modern sewer systems, often empties into clay piping used in ancient cities.

Clay pipes are vulnerable to cleaning products that dissolve clay and grime in drain pipes. It is advisable to remove the obstruction that prevented the clay and debris from draining.

Reasons Why Garbage Ends Up in drain pipe?

Garbage that is solid in nature should never be disposed of in a toilet. A sewer system can be readily clogged by debris that is too solid. Only biodegradable garbage should be flushed down sewer channels.

Earth and clay both exist in the solid state. Wastewater from washing soiled goods like gardening tools, gardening clothes, flower pots, and any other soiled items can also introduce solid debris into the drainage system, which can then make its way underground through mortar joints.

Clay is one of the key ingredients in the production of cat litter, which is used as bedding for feline pets. No decomposition takes place in the litter. As a result, it forms obstructions in drains as it is flushed down the toilet as grains.

Primary Roots of Plugs

In search of moisture, a tree’s roots will always spread outward. They gravitate towards the pipes because of this. The thirsty roots will even squeeze through the tiniest of crevices in your drain pipes to get to the water below.

They act as a nett to catch solid material that is being flushed down the drain, and once inside the pipes they can cause a clog.

The drain lines may become clogged, causing the sinks and toilets to overflow at some point. In extreme cases, the roots can become so large that they crack the pipes.

Cleaning a Clogged Drain with Hydrochloric Acid

Sulfuric acid is a popular option for removing obstructions from plumbing pipes. The sulfuric acid in drain openers is concentrated to over 90%, and the remaining 10% is built up of corrosion preventing chemicals that keep metal drainpipes safe from rust. However, in order to restrict their use to trained professionals, these items are not available for purchase by the general public.

Tree roots, rags, soap scum, hair, sanitary napkins, paper, grease, fat, and food residue are all decomposed by sulfuric acid. Water can simply flush away the organic debris after it has decomposed.

This results in the release of the previously entrapped soil and clay. Sewer lines composed of stainless steel, chrome, aluminium, or galvanised steel should not be unclogged with sulfuric acid.

How Hydrochloric Acid Can Be Used To Unclog A Drain?

Hydrochloric acid-based drain openers work best in plastic sewer pipes. They are also useful for clearing clogs in pipes made of materials other than galvanised steel and aluminium.

The acidity of the solution is roughly 30%. Compounds that prevent corrosion and lessen foaming are included in the solution, as well.

Hydrochloric acid dissolves protein and fat deposits that form in urine, hard water, scale, and rust. Plaster, earth, and concrete deposits in the sewers are all dissolved by the acid.

Methods and Tools for Root Removal

If you need to clear a blockage in a sewer system that shouldn’t have any acid in it, you can discover items designed for the task that don’t include any acids. They work, but they aren’t as powerful as acid-based products. Therefore, they are utilised in conjunction with drain snaking products.

Tree roots in drainage pipes can be eliminated with the help of specialised products. Combining root-specific herbicides with foamy surfactants is an effective method of root control.

By working together, these substances weaken the roots and prevent new ones from sprouting. Because some of these products do not contain copper sulphate, they can be used in places where it is illegal to flush copper compounds down the drain.

 

 

author

John Smith

Similar Posts